Saturday, September 17, 2011

Ca n'est pas une maladie


If your hands are swollen, bruised, and possibly a little bloody, don’t worry. Ca n’est pas une maladie, it’s not a disease. This is what Yaya, my drum instructor says to us after we complain that our hands will fall off if we drum anymore.  2 other volunteers (well, technically “stagieres”) and I have been learning Guinean drum and dance at the local centre du percussion. I’ve mastered a few rhythms on the tam-tam (djembe)  from the Basse-Cote of Guinea. Recently we’ve been joining the children's drumming group in preparation to perform together at our swearing-in ceremony in Conakry on Friday.The children are absolutely adorable and animated and we have such a fun time playing together.
                Training is nearly over. It’s come and gone so quickly I can hardy believe it. It seems like yesterday that my family was showing me how to eat rice with my hands, that my host mom was showing me how to correctly get water from the well, that my aunt was showing me how to clean my laundry....Now I feel chez moi, like I'm at home. I dance to Susu tunes on the radio with the children, have compelling conversations about women's issues with my mom and aunts in the candlelight on the porch, and I greet everyone in Susu. The most useful phrase I know in Susu is "Nmu xili Fote," which means my name isn't white person. "N xili Damaye," my name is Damaye. After 11 weeks in Dubreka the whole world knows that I am Damaye, not fote. 
Yesterday we finished "Ecole Pratique" - practice school. We simulated the school environment for 3 weeks - teaching Guinean students at the local school, giving exams and grades, dealing with discipline problems, etc... There are no textbooks for students and there are no libraries. Students do not have access to the internet....thus the notes they take in class are all they have for reference. That makes teaching pretty difficult. The Guinean education system very much focuses on the national exams (the Brevet after middle school and the Bac after high school). They're great with numbers but terrible with concepts. My work is cut out for me.
Well, once again the generator is being cut soon so I have to leave it at that.  I will put up pics soon.
Peace~



1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz -- I have just reconnected to your blog and it is great! I will look forward to keeping up on all of your comings and goings! Wow, finished with your in-country training..time does fly. Remember, PC is about hills and valleys....try and stay on top for as long as you can and remember when you are in the valley, you will eventually go up!

    ReplyDelete