Friday, October 25, 2013

How to make Kanya

Guinean cooking 101: Kanya

Kanya is the Guinean equivalent of a peanut butter sugar cookie...almost. It is a tasty treat that is sold on the streets all over Guinea. I recently acquired a few kilograms of shelled peanuts, so my host family and I decided we should use them to make kanya. There are only 3 ingredients: peanut butter, rice flour and sugar. 

Step 1: Grill the peanuts and bring them to the peanut-butter-making machine in the market 
Step 2: Bring some rice to the rice-flour-making machine in the market and mix with the peanut butter and sugar
 Step 3: Pound the mixture in a mortar until it becomes super dense
 Step 4: Flip the mixture out into a bowl and cut it into little squares and voila!


2 comments:

  1. thnks for sharing! my stepmother makes it with honey and corn flour which is also really good!
    Mariama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz! Kate Hamoonga here from IAP. I love reading your blog - need a new post! Do you have an email address I could contact you on - something I'd like to ask you. my email is hamoonga@studyabroad.wisc.edu.
    thanks!! kate

    ReplyDelete