Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fin d'année

The last day of school was May 28th, though it wasn't really the end, students just sputtered out until there weren't any left. The school year has flown by and I have learned such a great deal about myself and teaching. Not only that, but my students have taught me a lot and I can honestly say that I am proud of them and proud to have taught them. As I reflect on my first year teaching I'm thinking about some of my favorite moments or things that I did:


-Looking at plasmodium (malarial parasite) under the microscope at the centre de santé with 12th grade biology
-Being called monsieur instead  of madame right up until the last class
-Doing student presentations (exposé) in biology
-Making students take observations about the speed of falling objects (how does the fall of a rock compare to that of a sheet of paper? Would it be the same in a vacuum? And also what is a vacuum?)
-My students coming to my house to get extra help on homework or to read books (yay for initiative)
-A student in 10th grade (not even my student) came up to me the other day after school to say no more than hi and “Vous etes de bon coeur,” you are kind hearted.
-Our school was chosen to host a sensibilization for world malaria day (April 25). A group from Conkary/Boke came to our cultural center to talk to the students about preventing malaria. There was a skit, poetry, and dance. At the ends students were quizzed about malaria and won prizes.
-My entire 12th grade class coming to my house to wish me well when I was sick and didn’t go to school
-A Happy New Year’s card written in English from an 11th grader
-The 8th grade comedians, they’ve been going strong all year long
-Seeing a few high school students perform a play that they wrote about the importance of education
-Playing English and physics jeopardy when we had revision for tests

-After the last class of this year my 12th grade students all came to my house in the morning to hang out, say thanks, drink tea, and say  Oooh-ooh (goodbye)

  My principal sitting in the principals office (aka a table on the proch) and vice-principal with mangoes. My principal ringing the bell (yes, that giant metal circulaire thing is the bell). Elementary school girls who came to say hi to me
12th grade exposé on amebic dysentary 
Teacher's  lounge
11th graders
 
Some of my soccer players at school
12th grade girls

1 comment:

  1. I was just getting on to write your mom when this came through!! We love getting your updates, and I will try to be better about being in touch. Getting Ben ready for Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp, Dan's in summer school and co-coordinating Swedish Days booth for Fox Valley Jewish Neighbors (and drives -- a very good driver, I'm relieved to say). Dan and I were in Chautauqua, getting things ready for the Season, and we look forward to our time there. I'll get a package of chocolates, etc. off to you in a day or two. (Unsure if you received our last package, sent 3/26.)
    Everyone sends their love!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete